About Me

My photo
This is my very random blog about very random things in my life, enjoy the randomness....

Friday 13 January 2012

Surf 4 Survival


On January the 28th, myself and 29 others will be attempting a record for the longest continuous wave ever ridden on the Flowrider, in aid of First Aid Africa.

The machine its self is based in Heworth Leisure centre in the North East of England and was funded by the council. there are only a few other machines in the country and although they might be a bit bigger, some company's charge up to £50 per person per hour! which is just a little bit insane, when Heworth leisure centre only charges £5! proper bargain
My first attempt at Flowriding was with my boyfriend on our 3rd or 4th date! at the time I remember thinking oh my god! hes going to see me with no make up on! (now he just has to deal with my minging no make up face every day) so off I went a little bit nervous to what to expect and to what my boyfriend would think of my face!! all I remember is wanting to be able to stand up on the board for more than 3 seconds without falling flat on my face and making a complete tit of myself!!! Other people that were on the machine at the same time were ex Skateboarders and mastered it almost straight away, a lot of people I have met have compared it to skateboarding.
There is something very addictive about the sport and even tho I felt like had whip lash the next morning, I was dieing to go back and have another go. A year down the line and I'm not exactly an expert but I can ride the wave quite well, so when my good friend Sam mentioned he was holding an event for his Charity, First Aid Africa (which he set up himself) #propaledge I couldn't wait to get involved!

First Aid Africa believes that first aid can significantly improve someone's chances of survival following a life-threatening injury or illness. First Aid Africa believe that access to the simple yet life-saving knowledge of first aid should be available to everyone regardless of age, gender, race, religion or social status.
Their mission is to equip as many people as possible with the knowledge, skills and equipment to respond in an emergency, and ultimately, save or improve a patient's quality of life.
you can find out more about First Aid Africa via this link http://firstaidafrica.com/faa/ also if you would like to sponsor me for this event please visit this website

http://www.bmycharity.com/amandalumsden


Wish me luck for the 28th

Amanda
X

No comments:

Post a Comment